Wednesday 10 June 2015

Skills review

Research and Planning:

In the research stage of my AS task I analysed the Gangster genre in depth. This meant dividing the overall genre into sub-genre's (e.g. British Gangster, Film Noir, American Gangster). I watched and analysed existing film openings in order to understand the specific conventions of each sub-genre. I chose British gangster as I was extremely inspired by Long, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and also believed I could use my local area to meet many of the conventions. However, through the planning and construction we adapted the sub-genre to crime due to a storyline change. I continued to combine both sub-genre's to express crime through the British gangster theme.

After choosing British Gangster initially, I used previous films to identify the mise en scene, sound and titles that represented the sub-genre. This increased my understanding and I had the ability to take on conventions but also create something different to existing films. I discovered that British gangster films were limited to smaller budgets than other sub-genres such as Mob. The themes associated with my sub-genre were violence, masculinity and crime. I look at companies responsible for the production and distribution of these films for instance Warner Brothers.

After looking at the genre itself I focused on media theorists such as Levi-Strauss, Todorov and Propp to widen how representations are portrayed in film and the structure of film openings.

Also, I researched the target audience that would view my film opening. I created a survey for students to complete and gave me ideas of what they would expect. I also looked at the film ratings of British Gangster films to understand what existing films are targeted at.

The planning stage allowed me to take on-board my research and begin to create my own film opening. I made many mind maps of initial ideas, planned specific costume and make-up details, thought about realistic locations and created visual mood boards to link all of my ideas together. This gave me a starting point that I could later develop and adjust. I photographed my chosen location to visualise the setting. I also created a script and specific timings and numbers of titles in order to portray exact conventions of the genre.

I considered the risk assessments and possible harms that came with filming in my location, in order to plan in advance and make the actors aware of any danger.

From going through this AS process I have learnt the importance of the initial stages of research and planning, that it is extremely significant to form the base of your construction. Therefore, during my A2 advanced portfolio I will continue to look deeply into sub-sections of the overall topic and attempt to maintain one idea instead of multiple (a problem I previously experienced).

Using conventions from real media tasks:

The most common theme was out-door settings in local, exterior run-down areas such as cities and alleys. This creates a tense crime atmosphere through low level lighting and mystery. Within mise en scene I made sure the character wore typical costumes for the genre. The male character was dressed in casual, dark clothing with a hood to hide his identity. This was important as it established the character as an antagonist in a short period of time.

In terms of music, I used synchronous sound effects to build the atmosphere and work in conjunction with the sorrow, eery non-copyright music.

For the camera work I used a mixture of shot types,  from slow tense scenes with a steady tripod in contrast to the fast pace dramatic moments.

Using these conventions allowed me to create a visually characteristic British gangster opening that a target audience would be engaged with straight away.

Creativity:

I believe my creativity was imaginative and open-minded at the beginning of the project. Through-out the project I learnt to manage and simplify the ideas, making difficult concepts able to achieve. I have learnt that your initial idea will evolve and massively change as the construction comes together. Therefore, when I make my advanced portfolio it will be a less stressful and more peaceful process as I now know this.

Digital technology:

During the development of my British gangster opening I widened my knowledge of camera equipment, learning how to increase the shot quality and adjust the settings to meet my visual expectations. From previous photography experience, I was familiar with the camera, however developed my skills through the process.
To start the construction stage I completed many screenings in which my fellow students watched and fed back improvements of raw footage and initial ideas. These rough cuts show the massive development from my initial screening to my final construction. I learnt the importance of keeping a camera steady, and knew success came out of large amounts of footage to edit and cut down the best pieces. 
Final Construction:

Post-production:

After collecting all of my desired footage, I was able to edit it all together in Adobe Premier Pro, a technology I had never previously used before the process. After discovering the basics and experimenting with my preliminary task it became easier and quicker to construct. My pre-planned titles seemed impossible before I gained experience in creating title sequences and transitions. I will take on all of these new-found skills through my advance portfolio and hope to develop them further.

1 comment:

  1. You could develop this further by adding examples to back yourself up - particularly under creativity heading. How did you simplify ideas? Why did you do this? How did you integrate titles in a creative way? How did premier allow you to do things?

    ReplyDelete